Bacolod City – Negros Occidental Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson ruled out adding to his security escorts, in the wake of the assassination of Negros Oriental Gov. Roel Degamo, and other attempts to kill elected officials in other areas of the country.
“As long as you’re aware of the situation in the province and the areas that you go to. I will always be guided by that,” Lacson said
However, security personnel assigned at the Provincial Capitol in Bacolod City, are not taking chances.
Renelo Lastierre, head of the Capitol Safety and Security Division, said that he reminded all security personnel to strictly implement security measures already in place at the Capitol, including the ban in carrying of firearms inside the Capitol premises, even if they are from the military or police.
The suspects in the armed attack and assassination of Degamo at his residence in Pamplona, Negros Oriental, on March 4, were clad in Philippine Army and Navy uniforms and wearing bullet proof vests, aside from being heavily armed with automatic rifles.
During his meeting with Degamo last month, Lacson noted that the Negros Oriental governor “had a lot of security.”
“We actually lost a friend in Governor Degamo. He may have his misgivings about NIR but I was confident at the end of the day, he will not object to the creation of the new region. Let’s join in mourning together with the family of Governor Degamo,” he added.
Lacson wishes that justice will be served not only to Degamo but also to the other civilians who also lost their lives in the carnage.
In a press briefing at Camp Martin Delgado in Iloilo City, PBrig. Gen. Leo Francisco, regional police director, disclosed that he ordered all police commanders to coordinate with their respective mayors, governors and members of the House of Representatives, to determine if there are existing security threats and those who will need regular security.
Interested governors have been invited to attend a dialogue today with the PNP leadership at Camp Crame.
But Lacson said he is not keen to attend the dialogue.
After the meeting with governors at Camp Crame, Francisco said that PRO6 will assess on March 9, which have a higher threat and need to be provided with more security.
“I don’t want to happen what is happening around the country. I will see to it that appropriate security will be done. If we will just be given the correct information, then PRO6 will make the appropriate action,” he added. (Gilbert Bayoran via The Visayan Daily Star (TVDS) with report from Philippine News Agency, photo courtesy of TVDS)