The Metro Bacolod Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MBCCI) has pushed for a review and updating of the city’s hazard map in the wake of torrential rains that brought flooding to many parts of the city last week.
MBCCI chief executive officer Frank Carbon said on yesterday, it is possible that the current hazard map is no longer applicable, and there is a need to identify the new flood-prone areas.
“This will warn not only the business sector but the whole community as well on what areas to avoid,” he added.
The flood that hit the city on the night of March 6 came after hours of continuous rainfall equivalent to four days of rain that coincided with high tide, according to the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO).
Two persons, including a five-year-old infant swept away by floodwaters, were reported as fatalities.
Carbon said once the hazard map is reviewed and the flood-prone areas are identified, the city government can also determine the alternative routes.
“These alternative routes should be cleared from illegal structures and well-lighted to ensure the safety of the public and motorists. The public needs to identify areas where they can stay safe until the waters subside,” he added.
Carbon said flooding slows down the expansion of businesses as he pointed out that it costs businesses a lot to construct buildings that will just be flooded, which means possible losses.
Lone District Representative Greg Gasataya has directed the Department of Public Works and Highways Bacolod City District Engineering Office to submit a report on the drainage projects in the city after the flooding on March 6.
“We asked District Engineer Abraham Villareal to investigate and make a report with recommendations on the completed and ongoing drainage projects along the (affected) national roads,” he said. (Erwin Nicavera pna)