DOE: Bulk of ₧2.13-B 2022 budget is for MOOE


THE Department of Energy (DOE) has proposed a budget of P2.13 billion for 2022, bulk of which is allotted for maintenance and other operating expenses (MOOE) of the agency.

DOE Secretary Alfonso Cusi, during a budget hearing on Thursday, said P1,026,991.00 has been earmarked for MOOE, P721,614.00 for personnel services, and P379,204.00 for capital outlay.

In terms of funding source, 61.8 percent or P1.32 billion is under Fund 101 or the regular fund while the remaining 38.2 percent or P812.7 million is under Fund 151 for the Special Account in the General Fund.

Cusi said the proposed budget is lower than last year’s budget. “The 2021 budget is 5.9 percent lower than the 2020 budget, while our proposed budget for 2022 is 3.2 percent lower than the budget in 2021.”

He said the 3.2-percent decrease in the proposed budget is attributed mainly to the non-approval of the Information System Strategic Plan and the removal of the 2021 Congress-introduced increases for EVOSS, Energy Transition, Assessment of the Potential of Waste-to-Energy Technology in the country and Comprehensive Roadmap for E-Vehicles.

During the hearing, the DOE reported that as of September this year, there were 25,813 poles that have been relocated, amounting to P910.52 million in moving costs. To complete the relocation of the remaining 56,166 poles, an additional amount of P4.35 billion is still needed. The additional budget is lodged with the Department of Public Works and Highways.

“One of the major concerns discussed in the last Senate hearing was the issue of distribution poles that are obstructing roads nationwide. We would like to report the developments so far,” said Cusi.

To recall, the DOE and the DPWH issued a joint circular, providing for the payment and cost recovery for the relocation of distribution or sub-transmission lines in 2017.

In November 2020, as an immediate response to budget hearing inquiries, the National Electrification Administration endorsed to Senator Sherwin Gatchalian 59,640 electric poles that still need to be relocated and compensated.

These posts have been classified as either obstructive or affected by the IATF Relocation.

In March this year, the DOE and DPWH issued another joint circular which created the memorandum of agreement for the fund transfer between NEA and DPWH for the relocation of said poles, as well as their inspection and monitoring.

Read full article on BusinessMirror

Leave a Reply