35 C
Manila
Friday, April 19, 2024

7,380 Covid-19 protocol violators to settle cases in Davao City courts

- Advertisement -

DAVAO CITY – The city government here has left it to the courts to settle 7,380 cases of violators of Covid-19 protocols, representing 10 percent of all violations which date back to May last year.

The cases covered various infractions of Covid-19 mandated protocols, from failure to wear masks and shields to riding in motorcycles without the barriers and for curfew violations.

Not all infractions have to be sent to the courts, said retired Police Lt. Colonel Angel Sumagaysay, chief of Public Safety and Security Command Center (PSSCC).  He said barangay and police personnel arrested a total of 73,440 protocol violators.

Only in cases with aggravating circumstances, such as those resisting or insulting persons in authority, did such arrests slapped with legal cases for the courts to settle. For example, from August 1 last year to June 19 this year, 1,899 cases were filed from 7,455 caught in “pillion riding without a barrier.”

Of the total number of 73,440 violators arrested from May 16 last year to June 19 this year, failure to wear face masks and face shields, and to observe physical distancing, topped the list of violation.

Face mask violators numbered 26,176. Last week alone, there were 1,551 persons who were apprehended in just six days.

Those who still defied, or ignored the importance of face shield totaled to 17,425 arrests.

Some 17,274 were arrested for not complying with the protocol on physical distancing and mass gathering.

Another 11,108 arrests were made during the period for curfew violation. Also, 721 have been arrested so far for violating the ban on purchase or possession of wines and liquors, or were caught in drinking sessions outside of residences, while 592 were apprehended “for not adhering to the community quarantine protocol of only accessing essential goods and services,” Sumagaysay added.

Despite stern warning and actual court charges elsewhere in the country, 136 persons still attempted, and were caught with fake RT-PCR test results.

The city of Panabo in Davao del Norte, meanwhile, warned residents anew that the ban in engaging  basketball games and other contact sports in the communities remained in force, and Mayor Jose E. Relampagos, has ordered all basketball rings removed.

Read full article on BusinessMirror

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles

- Advertisement -