Bacolod: DENR continues Capitol bulk water project consultations

    0
    5

    Bacolod City – The Negros Occidental provincial government’s proposed Bulk Water Supply Project is moving forward, with a public consultation set on May 20 in Barangay San Isidro, E.B. Magalona, as part of the legal requirements for securing an Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC) from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources Environmental Management Bureau.

    Provincial Administrator Rayfrando Diaz II said the consultation will focus on the proposed use of the Malogo River as a major water source for the project which aims to provide a stable and clean water supply to several towns and cities in northern Negros Island.

    Diaz emphasized that the activity is intended to gather feedback from residents, local officials, and other stakeholders to ensure that the project complies with environmental standards and responds to the needs of communities that will benefit from it.

    “This project remains a priority of the provincial government. We want to make sure every step is transparent, inclusive, and acceptable to the people who will benefit from it,” he added.

    Silay City officials have opposed the P1.2 billion bulk water project of the Negros Occidental provincial government in Brgy. Guimbalaon, Silay City.

    Diaz said the consultation is part of the provincial government’s compliance with the legal requirements tied to the ECC application, adding that the project is being pursued not only for the current administration of Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson but also as a long-term solution to future water shortages in the province.

    According to Diaz, water scarcity is expected to become a major concern in the coming years, regardless of who leads the province in the future.

    “This is for all Negrenses. It is not just for one local government unit. Everything we are working for is preparatory for the future,” he added.

    Diaz further said that the provincial government wants to complete the necessary documentation and scientific studies now, so that future leaders will no longer need to start from scratch if the need for the project becomes more urgent.

    He also clarified that the provincial government will continue to pursue the project until the evaluation process is completed by the DENR, stressing that scientific and technical data — not public opinion alone — will determine whether the proposed water source sites are viable.

    The provincial administrator recalled that the project had been under development long before opposition emerged in Silay City. Despite the concerns raised, Diaz said the provincial government does not want to abandon the project midway, especially since the requirements and studies are already nearing completion.

    The Embang River in Silay City and Malogo River in E.B. Magalona has been identified in the previous year’s water summit, as two potential sources of water for the project.

    While public attention has largely focused on the Embang River proposal, Diaz said the Malogo River option has continuously been pursued because of increasing concerns over water rights and supply limitations in other river systems.

    He further disclosed that Embang and Malogo rivers remain among the few viable options capable of supplying the growing water demand in northern Negros Occidental.

    “There is ample supply of flowing water in the two rivers,” Diaz said, adding that the project is expected to help address potable water needs, support agricultural activities, and contribute to public health and economic development in the province. (Gilbert Bayoran via tvds photo by tvds)

    Leave a Reply